“Dig” is a common Internet utility used to look up DNS information for a given domain (like “dyn.com”).
Supported Platforms: Android™, iPhone
NOTE: Not currently available for download.
Sample Screen views:
|Main View||Results of Dig||Optional Features||Enter Resolver|
- Supported Resource Records (RRs) lookup: ANY, A, MX, NS, CNAME, TXT, PTR, SOA.
Click RR name at bottom of screen to specify. Default = ANY.
- Works for any valid domain. Last 8 kept in history.
- Can specify the resolver in the Options Screen. Click Gear Icon for Options Screen. Last 8 kept in history.
- History List accessed by clicking the search icon for a blank search.
- The elapsed time (in milliseconds) that the lookup took.
- The info page (Click Dyn Dig title) links back to Dyn, and Dyn’s social media outlets (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube).
No longer need to use a custom resolver? Delete the entry (make it blank, and click “done”) to use the default resolver.
NOTE: Most nameservers have a specific responsibility; only a few are what are known as “open resolvers”. If you have specified a resolver and aren’t getting any answers, chances are that it’s a not responsible for the query you’re making. Unless you’re trying to test specific resolvers, you likely would not need to specify one.
Portions of the Android version of this app are covered under the following copyright: Copyright (c) 1999-2005, Brian Wellington All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* Neither the name of the dnsjava project nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.